As is game season, what’s better than this glorious Venison Bourguignon
1 pack Diced Venison (400-500 gram)
1 large onion – sliced
1 bunch heritage carrots – sliced in bite size chunks
3 cloves of garlic – finely sliced
15 Chestnut mushrooms- halved
1 bouquet garni (parsley, thyme & rosemary)
1 bunch parsley – finely chopped
10-15 small shallots peeled
6 slices Smoked streaky bacon – diced
1 tbls plain flour
1/2 bottle Red Wine (Bordeaux or Malbec)
300 ml beef stock
2 tbls beef dripping
1 tsp tomato paste
1. In a large heavy bottom stock pan heat to medium high. Add 1 tbls of beef dripping and diced bacon to pan. Brown bacon for 4 min.
2. Next add in sliced onions to bacon and cook another 4 min. Add garlic and cook another 1 min. Remove everything from pan to a bowl and set aside.
3. Add 1 tbls of beef dripping and the diced venison to the pan. Brown on all sides.
4. Add bacon & onion mix back to pan with venison. Add in sliced carrots. Sprinkle over flour and mix well. Add bouquet garni and wine. Ensure you scrape the bottom of pan well. Lots of flavour. Add beef stock and tomato paste. Stir well, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 2 hours.
5. After 2 hours remove bouquet garni and dispose, add in mushrooms and shallots. Cook another hour. Taste and season appropriately with salt & pepper. Finish with chopped parsley. Serve with lovely baby potatoes.